Friday, February 29, 2008

Privacy anyone??? or Another rant (I'm getting used to ranting today, I think)

I think it happened to everyone who has rented or bought a house or apartment in SL more than once. You're coming home from an extremely exhausting shopping trip (or whatever you do most of the time in SL), gleefully awaiting to unpack all your new, shiny shoes, clothes and ...uhhh.... cuffs, wanting nothing more than to hop onto the next posing stand to fit all these new prims to your AV. Yeah, yeah, I’m crazy, addicted and my overly inflated inventory is the cause of SLs huge database problems. Tell me something I don’t know! Anyway….. you come home and what do you see? Somebody completely unknown, some weird alien in crappy noob clothing is sitting on your couch, or clicking everywhere, hopping onto each and every poseball in your house. You look around, maybe you TPed to the wrong landmark, into a friend’s home or wherever, but nooo….. this weird alien is sitting right in your living room. Maybe you forgot to lock the door? Let’s have a quick check. Nope, of course not. The door is locked as always. And when you try to talk nicely to your intruder he/she/IT? just TPs out of the area, most likely to bug somebody else. And that’s unfortunately the best case scenario. A few weeks ago, I didn’t have my new castle in my 1640 prim parcel yet, and instead was the proud tenant of a smaller parcel for my castle and a nice apartment in a nifty tower. The apartment was actually only one room, but it came with 300 prims, exactly what I needed for my personal little dungeon with all these prim heavy toys and instruments of torture. I was with a friend of mine and had just finished giving her a good little spanking. In fact, I just released her from this very nice cross I bought a few days before, when suddenly this weirdo sat on my throne in the corner of the room. Can you believe that? MY throne. My THRONE!! I knew she couldn’t have entered through the door; it has an access list and is always locked. TPing wasn’t possible, because if you didn’t set your home to your apartment you could only TP to a central location at the base of the tower. You all know how she got into my apartment. By changing the angle of the camera and sitting on the next best poseball, which happend to be on my throne. Normally I can be quite bitchy if somebody sits on my throne, but you never know how these creepy intruders respond if you start screaming and ranting. So I asked quite nicely why she entered my apartment. I got no answer from her and instead she got up from my throne and tried the cross instead. You know, I was kind of tempted to get my whip out once again, but my hand was a bit tired at that moment, because the previous spanking was a long one and had tired me a bit. So I told her that it is not the best way to make friends in SL by intruding their privacy, bypassing locked doors and testing out the toys and furniture of the owner of the apartment. Don’t get me wrong now. I was really nice and talked to her in a friendly way, although I was a bit pissed that the session with my friend had been interrupted. And what did she answer me? She said: ”I’m not here to make friends, I’m just a bitch looking for fun.” Yeah, sure, unnecessary to say that she was a banned bitch a few seconds later, but can you believe that? And I’m not making that up! That has happened and with exactly these words. She was the very first person I banned from my property in SL. I always do bans now as last resort, but yuck, I didn’t want to be with her in a room any longer, she was obviously brain-injured and maybe her ignorance was infectious! Had to get rid of her, take a hot bath and get a vaccine against brain-cancer! Ok, ok, before the bath I had a long talk with my friend in my bed. That was one of my worst case scenarios I had to experience in SL. Uhh... just to make sure that everone gets that right, the part with the weirdo in my dungeon was the worst case scenario, not the part with me and my friend in bed, that was actually a best case scenario. :)
I’m used to newbies storming in and checking everything out. SL is new to them; they don’t know many people and want to look around. Ok, that’s no biggie. When I’ve got enough time I chat a bit with them, try to help them, answer their questions and all that stuff, I even give them a tour of my house and when they see the play room most of them flee in panic. :) Why don’t I erect ban lines around my house, let only people on my access list on my property, some of you may ask. Simple, I hate running around and banging every few seconds against an invisible wall with only a red warning lettering on it. Gives me a headache. I think these walls are really, really annoying and they wouldn’t be necessary if people would try to use common sense, act civilized and respect the privacy of other residents. I know, I know, that will never happen, but let a girl have her dreams and hopes.
But boys and girls out there, please use your brains from time to time. It shouldn’t be that hard to activate these poor little few cells you have in your head now and then. Yes, I'm talking about you weirdoes out there. Get a grip and start to respect other people’s privacy. For example, if you are in bed with your friend (assuming you weirdos have friends in SL), would you like having an audience around you, commenting every position you assume, analyzing every word you whisper in the ear of your love? Would you like it if they throw popcorn at you when it's not getting messy fast enough for them? Don't get me wrong, nothing against a bit of voyeurism, but I'm the one who decides when and where I want that. In real life you don’t break into other peoples homes every day, do you? I certainly hope not. Or soon you’ll have to abstain from SL for a long, long time, because I don’t think you get an internet connection in prison. If you don’t do it in RL, maybe you shouldn’t do it in SL. Think about it.
That was enough ranting for today. In fact, I'm a bit tired now from writing two ranting posts in only one day and I need my sleep. I wish you all much fun in SL. See you next week or whenever I have the time for another entry.

2 comments:

Danii said...

Very recognizable story!
I think we at our house are much less patient and press the ban button way faster. But I totally agree with your access policy, how else can you be welcoming to ppl you just met and want to take home?!

I remember being very curious to other people's houses when I was new at SL myself, and eventually entering them unasked to watch around. I confess. But only when no one was around. And in the case the owner showed up, being friendly and polite never gave me problems or bans, but quite often an interesting tour instead.

Kathi Paine said...

Hello Danii.
When I have enough time and my nosy, unexpected guest is polite, I don't really have problems with visitors. I chat with them and try to answer their questions if they're new to SL, that's really no problem at all. But many people aren't friendly at all when you ask them what they're doing in your home. And to be honest after a few month in SL everybody should know that it's not the best way to make friends by breaking and entering. That's the intruders I really have problems with, and not some friendly newb.