Friday, February 29, 2008

Dari's Haus is closing shop

Well...I still can't believe it. Yesterday Darien Caldwell, creator of SL's finest gags, armbinders and collars announced that she will close her shop soon. After more than one year of providing the community with her products and shortly after announcing that she'll take a break because she feels burned out and needs to refresh her batteries that came as a shock - not one of the good ones her collars emit when I'm being naughty again - but one of the really bad ones.
You may ask yourself why Dari, one of the very few extremely talented creators in SL decided to close her shop. It's quite simple. The answer is that Dari was forced to make that decision because there are just too many assholes in SL. Thanks a bunch, boys and girls, for forcing her to stop selling her products. Obviously there are certain people in SL who are either too stupid or too lazy to read notecards and start bothering, complaining and bitching to the creators of their products if something doesn’t work because of their own inability and/or stupidity. Seriously people, if you are so damned stupid that you can’t even understand these notecards you should consider leaving SL and going back to school and learn to read. The notes Dari provides with her products are among the best instruction manuals I’ve ever seen and that includes manuals for many RL-products.
And there’s Dari’s support group for her products, too. If you have a question there’s a really high possibility that it will be answered there. Of course, only if you ask a question and don’t just start bitching around there. The group is for asking questions and not for constant complaints and rants.
When I had questions with an update for one of my collars once (some probs with the AO) I sent Dari an IM and I must say that she was not only totally nice and helpful, she took much, much time to help me sort my problems. The support she gave me was among the best, promptest and most friendly I ever had in SL. There are not many creators who provide their customers with that much help and support.
To sum it up, if you have problems there are the notecards, her group and her kind self to help you out. What else do you need?
There simply is no need to bitch around. And I repeat, if you are too stupid and/or lazy to read IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT, not Daris. And even then I’m quite sure Dari would help you out if you’d just ask her nicely and don’t start threatening her with lawsuits or bitch around.
Daris products are among the best scripted and most sturdy I have. And my inventory is full of stuff. And even if there is something wrong with one of the products, think about all the time and work that went into scripting and building them. Products as complex as the collars with all their scripts, for example, can always have some minor bugs. Look at computer software. It’s totally normal to update new software more than once after release. And I know for a fact that Dari updates her products as soon as she’s found a bug and has it corrected. No biggie if you ask me. And, of course, there’s SL, too. How many products were broken because the Lindens have fucked something up with another SL-update?? You can’t blame Dari for the Lindens inability to provide us all with a stable and bug-free platform. How is she supposed to work and provide us with bug-free products when every few weeks there are new problems in SL? That’s not Daris problem. Bitching to her and threatening her won’t help you in the slightest.
GROW UP, GET MATURE or get another hobby!
But sadly all my ranting won’t help. Dari’s closing her shop and we will loose one the most talented creators for D/s equipment in SL. At least Dari will stay in SL and try to have actually some fun again. That’s why we’re all here. It’s a game and should be enjoyable and fun. For Dari it stopped being fun and I can understand why she closes her shop. It would be really sad, if we’d have forced her out of SL because some of us are stupid, self-centered assholes. I hope Dari will soon be able to have fun and enjoy her second life again. Even if we loose her as a creator, we will still have her as a valued member of SL’s D/s-community. I wish Dari all the very best in her future second life, may she enjoy it and get well again soon.
There are many good creators in SL, but there are only four I truly adore. Four people I know I can buy everything they create and I’m absolutely going to love it. These are Darien Caldwell, Marine Kelley, Ariel Erlanger and Julia Faulkland (Well...with Sable and her helmet there is hope for another shining star on SLs creative horizon). One of them is forced out of business now by the very people she did everything to have a better SL-experience by providing us with her superb products. I just hope some people grow up now and learn from their own mistakes, but somehow I doubt it.
Dari, I wish you all the best. May you soon be able to have fun here again and try to ignore all those ignorant assholes making your life so much harder.

Kathi

p.s. Inara Pey also wrote a nice article about this on her blog

/me stops ranting now and rushes back to SL to stock up on Dariens collar-scripts before they’re gone

2 comments:

dorei said...

*scribbles a lil note to You risking contact violation just cause she wants to show off her own new bloggy thing*

Kathi Paine said...

Hello dorei.
How's your Banishment? Hope it's not too harsh for you and you have actually some fun?!
Send me an IM when you're out and free again, I'd love to have a chat with you about your experiences.

Kathi

/me hops to "http://sukiyaking.blogspot.com/" to read doreis blog now ;)